Marrickville Yoga Centre is now offering a new program that caters to athletes.
Yoga is widely used by many of the world’s leading athletes, making up an important part of their training and recovery program.
Iyengar yoga is particularly useful and appropriate because of its:
- In-depth knowledge and application of alignment of the body in asana
- Deep understanding and training in the therapeutic use of yoga
- Highly professional international training and accreditation system
Marrickville Yoga Centre has established a reputation for the high quality of its teaching.
Senior teacher Simon Joannou who runs the athletes program has been training with the worlds leading Iyengar teachers both in Australia and India for more than 15 years. He is also a trained physical education teacher, who has worked as a trainer for a number of world-class athletes in a variety of sporting fields.
Simon is able to present yoga to athletes in a way that can enhance:
- Range of movement
- Improve balance
- Increase body awareness
- Provide balance to over preforming and under performing areas of the body
- Show how yoga can work with injuries
- Teach athletes to use yoga as an effective recovery tool
Simon will also introduce the mental aspects of yoga that athletes can greatly benefit from including:
- Reducing PERFORMANCE ANXIETY
- Mental focus
Simon has already taught yoga to members of Australian Olympic swimming team, Super 14 rugby players, professional cricketers, basketballers, cyclists and many other athletes.
Held at our centre, athletes need no yoga experience.
The workshop will offer athletes and coaches a great way to experience the many benefits yoga can bring to training programs.
Topics for Workshops
- Yoga for legs/ ankles/ knees/ hips
- Yoga for backs/ knees/ shoulders
- Restorative yoga for recovery
- Developing strength, balance and flexibility
To receive our yoga for athletes newsletter email firstname.lastname@example.org
Workshops held once a term
Places in workshops are limited
We also offer one off or ongoing yoga sessions for teams and clubs at our studio.
These sessions can offer an alternative to your regular training and are a great way to keep athletes mentally fresh and a provide a chance for the body to increase its recovery.
Senior Iyengar YOGA TEACHER
Principal teacher of Marrickville Yoga Centre
DIPLOMA of physical education ACPE